Thursday, September 9, 2010

Book Cover of the Week: A Day Late - by Louise Tripp

Bonsoir mes amis. It's been a full week and as you can see, I got a little sidetracked – and completely forgot to post Wednesday's Book Cover of the Week. Ah well...better late than never? This week's post features multiple book covers and is my current top ten “to-read” list done in photos (in no particular order):

1. Girlbomb by Janice Erlbaum – A former friend gifted me with this book several years ago and it's just another one of those I have never gotten around to reading. Erlbaum was a columnist for one of my favorite magazines, Bust at the time she wrote this about a time in her life when she fled her home to live on the streets because her mother let her abusive stepfather come back.





2. February House by Sherill Tippins – This is a little nonfiction book about a little house in Brooklyn that, during WWII, housed W.H. Auden, Carson Mccullers and Gypsy Rose Lee, to name a few. I've heard so many terrific things about this book (and considering my deep and endless love for all things Carson Mccullers, it had to make my to-read list, no?), but it's been on my shelf since 2006 without a single crack to the spine.

3. The Whole World Was Watching by Romaine Patterson – A memoir by the best friend of Matthew Shepard, a gay college student killed in Wyoming 12 years ago next Saturday.

4. Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie – I was excited to find this, an Alexie novel I haven't read, among a stack of book donations at the library where I work.

5. Everybody Into The Pool by Beth Lisick – My girlfriend and I picked up Lisick's “creative nonfiction” at a Sister Spit reading earlier this year because the writer was so funny and charismatic when she read her work. I'm looking forward to finally getting around to this book.

6. Savage Beauty by Nancy Milford – A biography of one of my all-time favorite poets, Edna St. Vincent Millay. Poetry and the Jazz era – what could be more intriguing?

7. A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz – I discovered this book when I signed up for the Goodreads book giveaway, but unfortunately didn't win. I'd like to read it anyway, though. I love a good fairy tale retelling.

8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy – Oh, how many times have I tried (and failed miserably) to read this much-beloved Tolstoy novel. Maybe the third time is the charm.

9. The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama – I actually attained my copy of the president's memoir by accident. I'd ordered a different book, this was sent by mistake and the seller sent the correct book along after I messaged her, telling me I could also keep this one for my inconvenience. Kind of a happy accident if you ask me.

10. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte – While I am not fond of her sister Emily's most famous novel and have not read her sister, Anne's books in years, I thought I'd finally get around to giving Charlotte a try. 

Challenge: Recreate a book cover in photographs and I'll post it here next week. Or  got an idea for a Book Cover of the Week? Email:lulutripp@gmail.com


Louise Tripp grew up in North Carolina. She currently lives in Chicago, where she is revising her first YA novel and working in a public library. You can read her regular blog at http://risktoblossom.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment